Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Thailand - Photo Shorts

The beaches are stunning, the people are indeed friendly, and everything is cheap in Thailand. 

I've been enjoying my travels so much everyday (among doing some serious tour cycling) that I am having difficulty in creating categories to share with you in my blog, as is the case from time to time. 

Since leaving our Texan friends we've bathed in Nature's warm water, Chris has splintered off (he'll be back), Rajiv and I have extended our riding streak to eleven days, saw a three headed elephant, stayed with more cool hosts, and of course ate more delicious food. 

Photo by Rajiv. Always good to see the kids out on bikes. Thumbs up!

We got wind one morning of a natural hot springs to visit. Touristy perhaps, but worth the time and money - I owe my bones that much. However, after searching for a good hour, the entrance to the hot springs could not be found. Sad, a little frustrated and let down, we were about to pack up when a monk clad in the unmistakable orange robe theatrically walked out from an encroaching misty road. No words were exchanged other than "hot" and a his mime for a shower. Enough said. We ditched our bikes and jumped in our swimming trunks, a little worried that the man would walk off faster than we could catch him. But we did, and kept pace to this secret location. No entrance fee, no people. Bones, you are welcome.


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

One of the temples we've stayed at. Why did we spend so many nights in hotels? 

I marvel at these plants. At first, I thought them man made, the way they are so perfectly patterned. But no, Nature has surprised me once again.

Update: My mother equally amazes me, with all the knowledge and information she keeps at the ready about anything regarding anything flora. She wrote me an email immediately after I wrote this post:

"...The flat palm like tree is Ravenala Madagascariensis and is called traveler's palm. They can grow up to 40 feet in hight. Water collects in the nooks where the leaves join the trunk; thirsty travelers in Australia use the water to drink when nothing else is available." ~ Lupe


Our three loaded bikes ata market. Looks like a lot more than we actually carry.

Picture by Rajiv. A wrong turn led us to this doc; I'm glad it did.




Thai boats are a snap shot artist's dream. Colorful, still, plenty of detail, worn in...I could look at these images all day.

It sounds bad. It doesn't sound like something a cyclist ought to do. But, as I've come to reason, that is because we do things much differently in the West when someone dies. Yes, we crashed a Thai funeral. Music, food, and kindness to complete strangers on a bike; it's how I want to go out. Buy the kids new clothes, buy some Tequila for the adults, I want there to be a party when my time comes...

Funeral food. I'd feel bad, but they were more than happy to feed us travelers. As soon as we finished a plate, they'd just bring out another!

And what's a funeral without a band?

Photo by Rajiv. Short cuts? We don't do short cuts in this team! 

Chris has gotten the short end of the stick as of late. A lost GPS, back pain, a seat post clamp that won't do it's job, torn shorts, blunted rear cassette teeth, and now a broken chain. We're checking in with him since leaving the pack, he's doing much better now.


To: The best Mom in the world. May you enjoy your retirement but never truly retire from your passion. 







Hey, it's the rainy season here! You wouldn't know it - still damn hot durring the day. Though every once and a while we do get a massive downpour. Time towhip out the cards boys, we're going to be here a while.

The beach! You smell like the beach!


Abandoned and beautiful horizons. Pitch a tent, build a home, sell some fish, live a happy life.

One of the more fancy rooms we had the privilege to sleep in a monetary. A king's furnishings. 

We didn't get settled in for long before Vera Pong, the head monk here, paid the cycling travelers a visit. He showed us pictures of his family, we showed him pictures of ours. We talked without words the whole night before he left, and then returned. Before we went to bed, he graced us with a gift, one for each. 

A medallion keepsake. Can't buy this anywhere, it's literally priceless. Breakfast and blessings by a Thai monk? Check.

The temple outside our room.


Mountain temples.



Lonely boat.

Lonely boats.

Mmmmm. Now, I  staying away from bread these days, it might be an allergy thing. This is my exception. Fried dough with sugar and condensed milk. One toothpick so get your own!

Aaaaaaaaaaooooooooowwweeewww!

That's right - yours truly is at the head of the pack. So what to do when I get to town? Rest up and wait for my mates!

Cardboard shopping icons have always been attracted to me, can't shake 'em. They keep smuggling up next to me, they're relentless!

Buuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzz. Conclusion of bike conversation: I can understand the complexities of economic diversities - but shouldn't there be a universal standard price for hair cuts? The labor is the same, so are the tools and demand. Whether in America or Uzbekistan, a buzz cut is still a buzz cut. 

Fresh mango salad is to die for. A word to the brave: don't say anything to your chef and the lovely woman will make the salad extra spicy for ya.

Riverside temple for the night, anyone?

You think our room looks grand from the outside....

...yes, we actually stayed here and slep quite comfortably for free.




The legendary three faced elephant. 

In scale, this statue is massive! It blocked out the sun. 

That's it for now folks! We continue on riding towards the golden Buddhas (which are misrecognitions, really).

My sixth month milestone has passed recently and though I am having the time of my life, I miss having some place to come home to and call my own. I've buggeted for another six months, so well see. Ill have to work abroad eventually, Berkely wants its money back. There are numerous work opportunities to jump on, and grad schools too. I am however hesitant to jump too early. One day at a time. 

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment