Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ecuador Day 14: Rest Day

Good morning to you. And by that I mean good afternoon.

Two weeks in. and the time is just flying by. From Ibarra where big sister and I took two days to explore the "white" city, we jumped back into deep end of a cold pool that was our country home filled with kids and music and energy. Two weeks in and already I need a vacation from vacationing. 


Of course, little Antonio is still waking up Sis and I every morning at 6:00AM. His boyish presence always slips through the ever so slight crack in the wooden doorway without either one of us noticing. Once in side however, he can never contain himself. 

A mix of curiosity and boredom quickly overpower his stealthy consciousness and begins picking through our suitcases, or messing with the sheets of the bed, only to quickly wake either one of us, usually me, on "accident."  His smiling response says, "You caught me! But can''t you just let me off with a warning?"


Breakfast for champions. While away the last couple of days, Gabs and I were scouting the the white city for all the different local food and local products exclusive to the region. Among the treats and gifts we sampled and bought as gifts is this bottle you see in the back. Its a syrup made from the very delicious maracuya. Below the sweet homemade and bottled syrup lays wheat free banana and blueberry pancakes since Gabi has religiously cut wheat from her diet and feeling much more clear headed for it.


I like the skeptical look of glass give, though I never required the use of a pair to see near nor far. I found these vanity glasses around the first floor of the house and decided to have a little fun. I put them on until someone would notice them, of course it was Zoila. Each kid here has their strengths, and while Zoila is not currently not the strongest reader, her interpersonal skills are through the roof. She found my camera too, and silly pictures ensued.  


This is not my picture, it belongs to a friend of mine who is a big food enthusiast like me. We had talked about this dish at home, my father is a big fan of eating it. This poly-grain savory dish is also only around for just a few weeks in early spring, then it disappears after the last spoonful of the first batch is swallowed down. The presence of just about every grain available to this part of the World is meant to symbolize the beginning of a healthy spring, the prospect of food for the rest of the year. 

It's name is Fanesca, and like I said, this is not my picture, which further means that although we tried to find a place that still sold the dish, by the time we mobilized the family to a spot for dinner, it was literally too late. For shame, learn from my mistakes.


Simba loves days off. Reminds me of a Carlin joke: "Hey, what do dogs do on their day off? They cant just lay around all day like you and me, that's what they normally do."


Siblings have peculiar and unique traditions. For me and Gabs, its playing the old card game Canasta. Its great for us because we can only play in person and when there are two card decks together, which means its rare and special. It also takes three to seven rounds to play, so loosing a battle doesn't mean you'll lose the war, and that builds the tension over the course of the day - which is good for sore loosers like gabs and I. We also use very different strategies that match the other's position nicely, complementing the sibling rivalry perfectly.  


So two weeks in, and now that I think about it, I still have not eaten any Cui. That, and visiting Banos after all these years are the only two things left on my list of things to do. 

Cui, the Ecuadorian barbecued guinea pig on a stick. Oh well, the hunt continues, they tell me the small roasted mammal is especially taste in Ambato where my grandmother's house is, so time will win this round, again. I'll win the war. 

In between outings and day trips, today was all about taking a vacation from vacationing. You know how it goes. Its like a high performance bike: the more expensive the model, the more tech that gets involved, the more specified that integrated carbon frame becomes - its all more presidence for things to go wrong. That is why digital shifting never really took off the ground, too many things could go wrong along the way. Accordingly, there are so many more variables, plans, and schedules (multiplied to the power of people) to sort through on busy days that sometimes the days "wasted" in turn make for stronger and more relived memories than the most precisely planed adventure. 

Thus, I removed my hands from the wheel to enjoy the view.

Love,
-A 


No comments:

Post a Comment