Friday, June 28, 2013

Malaysia - South, Part IV - Johor Bahru

A freshly shaven head makes for great aerodynamics, even under a helmet. Less hair also kept me cooler which means I could cycle for longer. 

One more stop before traveling into Singapore, our third country. Think of Johor Bahru as the San Diego to Mexico, the last real place you want to stop of before committing to boarder hopping. 

Well, one of last two stops really - because we had to, had to, stop by the Shimano assembly factory. Shimano is the major name in bike parts today. A Japanese company founded in 1921 who capitalized on the demand for bike parts during the 1960 and 70's American interest boom, the multinational company is synonymous with the industry itself. Specializing in bike components rather than frames or apparel, they hold some ridiculous number like 50% of the global market. Just between Chris and I, we are putting at about fifteen different Shimano  manufactured components to the test. They were probably made right here.



Too bad we stumbled onto the factory on a Sunday (!) when there was no one but the front gate security guard to talk with. 

When we finally did arrive in Johor Bahru, we were welcomed by our friend Cindy. You might remember Cindy, she was at The Black Hole back on the island of Sumatra. She took this photo there:

Yes, when we find a Internet connection we turn into pod-people.

Cindy with a couple of American boys. 

Cindy's cool aunt who owns a kareokee bar! 

We could only stay in Johor Bahru one day. We made the best of what was there to offer.

We took a nature walk.

...and walk...

...and walk...

...and walk...

...and walk...

...and walk! Hey do you see that? It's a giant A in the trees! Talk about your good omens! I pay attention to the omens, they have not steared me wrong.

After the walk it was time to cool off. A public waterfall waited for us at the bottom of the hill we climbed. Didn't plan on it so we ditched the clothes, stripped down to out underwear and jumped in that sweet cold water! Few things are so refreshing. 

Segway. I had a friend look at my blog and her reaction was that I tend to discover my travels by food. So true. I would not call myself a foodie, I would not describe my interest in food to include the esoteric comprehension attached to a meal's preparation. 

They say a foodie would never answer the question "what are you eating?" with "I don't know." But I would. Doesn't knowing what you are eating devalue the surprise of new food? I love to try new food, even when I have no clue as to its origin, toxicity, or spice level. Bring it on. They say foodies do not only like food, they have an interest in it. Good for them. Well, I LOVE food. I love it. And I believe good food should be cheap. No need to spiff it up or ornament the dish. And no small portions, please. When it comes to food, for me, delicacy is something I throw in the rubbish bin along with cook books and aprons.

Can you guess what this is before jumping to the next picture's close up?

Still can't figure out the mystery meat? It's Stingray! (Fifty points to the team in the back!). The meat is delicious though it is difficult to tell where the meat ends and where the jelly-like wings begin. Look closely on the left, you can see where the stinger has been removed. You're welcome Steve Irwin.

You know, we've eaten many a different things along this trip. Insects, cow skin, frogs, dogs, and chicken feet. But you just can't beat the classics. And you can't beat the repressed cravings for western food perpetuated by tasting stale rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with anything less than an equally powerful force. I found a store to feed a craving: dairy.

Ice cream, a quart of milk, orange juice, and bread for something to spread cream cheese (!!) on. Slap me silly and call that dinner! Sorry mom, you taught me better than this but I enjoyed this meal too much to regret it. 

On to Singapore! Singapore, the City of rules, standards, and regulations. How will two rebellious Americans be regarded in such a place? I wonder. I also wonder if they have public nudity laws. Stay tuned.

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment