Saturday, July 18, 2015

Korea Day 1 - Déjà vu

Just about a year ago to the day, I commited my summer vacation to this very route. Last year, I was only hopping to explore my neighboring island of Kyushu. This year, my ambitions are much greater. This year, I'm cycling to another stamp in my passport.

Oh, and I'll try and update my Exuador posts soon too and retro post them. So keep and eye out for those. But the next three days will all be around 120km each, meaning no time for idle hands.

How exactly this happened is a great pride for me at this point in my life. I am sure that one day my pride will gush forth from seeing the achievements of my future children, the way it once did in the past after learning how to read. But today, or these days, my pride comes from a much more irresponsible place. Somehow I managed to set off on an international cycling tour with a massive hangover as the result from a double celebration: the end of school term and the end of Ramadan. Onward and upward. 

I'm naming this blog post déjà vu since I am almost perfectly copying my route last year. You'll even see some pictures, like this one, taken in the same spots because Japan is just that beautiful.

Ascending the last big hill I need to get through Kochi ken and along the southern shore. 

Breakfast. No chance of having time to for fat lipids, this guy is turning straight into energy and then being put to use.

Im sure that I captured this beach last year. Still as beautiful. The shades of blue you can find on any wave are enough to keep me sketching until the twilight hour. I'll have to come back here one day and spend a day with the tide pools.

Made it to my final destination around 5:00pm. No sunscreen, plus no arm protectors, plus a good day of cycling equals a wicked tan. 

So, has learning Japanese payed off in any big way? Absofreakinglutly. Navigating maps is soooo much easier no, and I can actually find places such as the all too convinient 道の駅. Literally "rest" and "station," these locals are so perfect for this traveling cyclist. A place for a tent, 24 hour vending machines and toilets, plus you usually get a great view of mountains or ocean. 

You can spot this cat in the photo above. A few "psssks" and hand motions later and he came over to say hello.

The view of this 道の駅. Ehime, the Western prefecture of Shikoku, is known for its beautiful sunsets. I couldn't even stand too long I'm this shot because I was being double teamed by the direct sun and its reflection off the water. You know what? I forgot my swimming trunks. I'll try and buy some in Korea.

July/August may be as hot as it gets. Really really hot. The kind of hot where you live under the aircon. The kinda hot where you sleep with an ice pack. The kind of hot when you eat ice cream under a cold shower five times a day just to stay sane. Yet, despite this, I still love my ramen. 

I walked into the ramen house, and immediately noticed it was empty. The look on the waitress' face said the same thing she must have been thinking: are you some crazy tourist that doesn't realize we only serve HOT soup? 

Yes, I am crazy. I ordered my soup with a smile as she and the cook watched in happy amazement. 

Back at the tent site, cars pulled in and out of the lot to buy a drink or use the bathroom. One family pulled in and took a walk. The children of this family where super curious in the particulars of my bike and immediately came over to tip toe around, touch my bike and chase each other around the grass. 

The parents came over, we talked, they were delighted to find out I could speak Japanese and worked just north of here. 

Before moving on, the little boy came running back and dropped something off in my hand before running back to his car, yelling "sayonara!" over his shoulder. It was a piece of gum.

My bike also likes to take in a view.

The forecast is set for rain tonight. Luckily there is a nice unused theater stage I unpacked under. In a corner I sit, listening to the rain and the breaking waves.

Barely 8pm and I am exhausted. A good day to manage with a genuine hangover, but I suppose that is what youth is for. It ain't being waisted on me.

Well, goodnight my friends. Tomorrow I catch the early ferry to Kyushu and another 120km worth of hot, sweaty enjoyment. 

Much love,
-A



No comments:

Post a Comment