Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Korea Day 5 - Swimmers In The Fog

I woke up and thought I was in San Francisco all over again. Or, maybe Singapore. There was a dense set layer of fog around the skyline that made looking outside Moon's guest room window impossible. 

But, I awoke in Busan all the same, a new country with new adventures. That sort of feeling doesn't happen everyday. I was excited to do some exploring by foot today, and use different muscles for getting around. 

The impending fog. It never really let up the whole day, which made for two things: obscure scenery and a creepy slasher-movie vibe.

The buildings are tall here, and they rear way up high into the clouds, just like in Singapore. However, the apartments are much, much more spacious. From what I can gather, there are only two apartments per floor.

What a first rate breakfast treat! I was really being shown a lot of love from Moon's family.

After breakfast it was suggested that we take a bike ride over to an observation path along the coast where many people visit to see the coast and city skyline. So, we did. 

A brave fisherman.

New countries also mean new flora. 

A typical alleyway in Busan. Lots of eateries, cafes, bars, and many individual shops. What I don't see many of are chain stores in Korea, many people apparently take the risk of starting their own business around here.

Because of the sweltering heat, Moon and I went for some cold noodle soup for lunch, and it was amazing. A little sweet but not too much, served with a warm broth on the side as a drink, and unlimited veggies. First day in, and I'm already in love with the food. 

I keep getting reminded the more I stay in Asia that things are all the same, but different. Here is one example: chopstick form. Where the Japanese use more square end tips, the Koreans use long and flat ended chopsticks. And, I was told that the Chinese use round shaped sticks. "Same same but different."

Although not "normal" (therefore sometimes considered rude), moon held his chopsticks in his own way =)

Street market food! This is what Japan is missing. 

Since lunch was over, we bought some traditional dessert. Fried bread battered in spice and brown sugar, filled with soft roasted nuts. Absolutely amazing.


Next on the day was to visit a fish market, which, I love to do. 

So much variety! In the middle container there, you can see an octopus attempting an escape. 

And more fish.

And more.

I even found some Japanese works in signs and posters and on some products so far. It's nice to see their presence here. Moon and I laughed quietly to ourselves in seeing them on the street acting very Japanese like.

King crabs. Tanks of them.

Oh yeah - free advertising! If we hadn't just eaten, I would have done it here! Look at all these side dishes!

The way Korean food usually works in a place like this is you choose a main dish (sometimes two) and three side dishes of whatever you'd like. Then, unlike Japan cuisine, you share everything. 

More and more side dishes of all kinds of kimchi and/or veggies. My favorite so far is actually raw peeled garlic in a spicy, tangy sauce. Mmmmm, soooo good! 

We also hit the beech for a long walk, and I was shocked to see people playing in the water. For the fog, yes. But, I was also shocked because of the super cold water temp! I only stuck my foot in.

Can you see? No? Yeah, no one could. The fog today made seeing 500meters ahead a challenge and gave these beech peers an eerie sense of being at the end of the World, with nothing beyond expect inexistence. 

Moon and I actually stayed around exploring and chatting long enough to watch the lights come on the bridge. Lucky we were on a day like today, that most of the fog stayed off this view.

Once it got dark, we got hungry. I know Moon from WarmShowers which means that he knows what it's like to be on the road cycling all day exposed. And, he knows about cyclist's hunger. 

I shared a story with him of all you can eat buffets in Japan, and he returned the story with informing me that in Korea, the buffets will turn down service to athletes! A little amazed that they would, yet reasonable - athletes can really put some damage on a buffet.

Ah! Here we are. Raw garlic and hot sauce. Not good for kissing, great for your immune system. 

I think I ate five plates of salad on top of my Korean BBQ and other dishes. Salads can be so expensive in Japan, and here all you have to is hold up your empty plate and smile to eat as much as you'd like =)

Another difference: in Korea, the more fattier the meat is prized over all else. Also, feel free to "wrap" your meat and side dishes together for unique blends.

Somewhere after all the meat and sides we could stuff ourselves with (and I'm still loosing weight) a crab soup and rice came to our table as a finishing course. As per usual, the soup tastes amazing.

Down at the docks earlier today, taking advantage of some clear skyline along a path.

Today was really great. No cycling but I feel that I've made a new friend. What's more, Moon is off tomorrow to go spend some time in Japan! I invited him to stay with me there once again, and I hope he does. 

Well, that's all for today, tomorrow will begin the cycling trip I've been building up to. I really only have one goal: to cycle up the tallest mountain on mainland Korea. Other than that, my time is my own. 

Much love,
-A





No comments:

Post a Comment