Thursday, March 24, 2016

Japan Exodus - Day 1: Goodbye, Hello

There is a special journal I keep, that I only use for traveling. Likewise, I really only try to use this blog for my adventures into the unknown. So yes, there are many gaps to address. I haven't finished my trip blog in the Galápagos, my Korean trip, or an update on all the amazing friends I've come to meet in Japan. There's a time for all of that, as most things.

For now, the time has come to tell of my departure. A bitter sweet goodbye to my second home of Tosa, Kouchi; and hello to my new cycling friend and ex-coworker, Kyle. Two years in a country I had no intention of staying in when I arrived. Two years of foreign country sights, flora, food, people, and new traditions. Certainly a vacation from monotony.

If you don't know, there is a lot to do before you move out of a country for good. All my good byes behind me, all my wordy possessions either donated or strapped to my bike, all my regrets forgiven; I'm off again heading to meet a friend, then off to complete what I initially came to this land for in the first place: to cycle from tip to tip of Japan's islands.

Right, so here is the shortest way to get across the islands in the rising sun. My route is slightly modified to include Okinawa to the south (not pictured) and making some general zig zags across the country to say final goodbyes to friends all around the island of Honsu. All in all, I'd say approximately 3,000km. Wish me luck!

Before leaving my apartment and everything,I was invited to a night time 花見 party a few towns over. Striking this as the perfect opportunity to make a test run, I packed all my bags and set out to meet my friends for the Sakura flower viewing. Eating fresh seared tuna, lots of onigiri, and even more sake, I was glad I'm the morning to have set up my tent the night before. 

All was successful. I camp out, packed up, and cycled home before 9:00, in time to make my immigration appointment in order to change my work visa back into a traveler's.

My final going away picnic. Too many people to thank, I couldn't even try to start the list. 

After leaving my home and city for good, I was finally, finally back on the road again. Willie Nelson rang my ears. 

If all this looks like a lot of stuff, it is. However, half is gear for my friend Kyle, who I plan to see soon. He has two weeks spring vacation and we plan to cycle around Shikoku together. Because, why not. Anyways, my bike will loose some Kilos in the next day.

Behold the fair well breakfast cooked by my fellow Californian, Von-san. Really amazing.

And a little hot spice to go with it =)

Welcome to Muroto, this is the most southern tip of Shikoku. On a clear day, you can see this point from my home town of Tosa, about 130km away. Believe it or not, I've never made it this far south before, it's all new adventure from this point on.

To reach the view for the most southern tip of the island, you must climb these wooden stairs. Amazingly, despite years of beatings by multiple typhoons a year, the staircase is neither squeaky or rickety. It's as stable and secure as the first day it was built, I am sure.

The local here in my prefecture of Kouchi is Sakamoto Ryōma. He's a man who fought with a gun as a samurai (seriously bad ass) and fought for Japanese expansion and commercial trading with other countries and people. He is in part responsible for Japan eventually opening their closed door policy.

Here he watches over my bike and gives me his blessing.

Welcome to Toyo chō. Here is my destination. The first of many. My friend Kyle lives here, an American teaching English in this small surf town in a forgotten pocket of Eastern Shikoku. Now, we'll prep our bikes (his first trip) and take off to wherever we want. Really, the freedom is breath taking.


So, that's it for now. Last night I was so tired from fighting the headwind up to Toyo chō that I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I didn't even get a chance to say goodnight to Kyle or thank him much for putting me up for the night.seeing as how we'll be cycling together for a bit, I'm sure I'll get to thank him again. And I hope that you'll stick around too. I haven't decided if this is more for my cathartic reflection, or yours. But I hope you enjoy it.

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment