Friday, August 1, 2014

Japan - Kyushu Day 5, Rain. Get Used To It

It's not the worst day/night since leaving home. No, that honor is still given to Chris and I's first night in Malaysia. Cramped boat seats, chased by rabid feral dogs under moonlight on abandoned highways, and the night sleeping outside an emergency waiting room being bit by sewer born mosquitos. No one said traving is always so good. And again, today wasn't that bad, but it's going to rank. 

It started all rather well actually. I had camped in a sports park with many facilities so I was able to work out some much ignored upper body muscles on the segregated exercise structures in place around the field. I haven't done the monkey bars in years but guess what? I still know how to do them. 

The morning didn't produce any worth while sunrises. That's a given, I wasn't camped by the water or close by any large mountains. Furthermore, the clouds in the sky never assured me that it was in fact morning. They hid the sun so carefully. Eventually, I packed up and ride out. Not after long, this lotus (what I hate to call an infestation though this certainly was no garden) patch came into view, I skirted around to snap this pic.

Up closer and personal, these flowers are really huge, and really beautiful; simple with detail.

There are many ways to make it to my destination, Nagasaki. I opted for the scenic route around an old mountain top boardering the Ariake sea. The clouds never really gave way and when as I was circling Mt. Tara, the sky began to rain, hard. Everyone has their preference range regarding wet cycling, I don't like to ride in the rain at all. Although I rather stay dry, I cycled on until proper shelter presented itself.

Shelter did come, wedging me and my bike under this roof for trying to get comfortable for at least an hour.

The did rain eventually bring itself down from a 7 to a 2 out of 10 and I figured this is as good as it's going to get. After riding around some slick roads I found this awesome shelter. It made me wish I had camped out here instead. Oh well, I had wasted enough time, had to keep going!

More hollowed out fruit bus stops lined the path around Mt. Tara, it all made for something to look for and an enjoyable distraction from the head wind that was making a claim of itself as that invisible nuisance.  

The rain did cut out, although I was soaked by the time it did. No matter, I was staying warm by the mandatory hill climb into Nagasaki. 

Another view from the top. 

There might be an easier way into Nagasaki from the North East, but straight down from Saga the hill will make you work. Fair warning, there is a tunnel at the top the bicyes are not allowed through. However, I wasn't about to turn around after an hours climb so I snuck on through the one km bridge. 

The downhill was exciting although my post reward came with a sudden rain shower. I had just nearly made the bottom and now had to scramble for someplace covered. No time to explore, I shot out across the street and huddled there for about two hours as the rain stayed bad and my sunlight running out.

It's hard to stay positive in situations like this, beer helps. I had only just arrived and couldn't do a thing. By the time the darkest clouds began to move away, it was already 5:30 and my plans sort of ruined. 

I couldn't find a park to sleep, as the wet ground wouldn't make for any fun camping. And I wasn't really in the mood for sightseeing any longer. 

It was about this time that my old friend Yoshi have me a shout out on the Internet. Turns out, he was only a days ride from my location. He said he had a friend in Amakusa we could stay with. I looked over the map eagerly, planned a route, and took the south side out from Nagasaki. 

I was hoping to avoid the big hill this way, but what I found was a steady pace of smaller ups and downs eventually canceling themselves out. And even though it's been over a year, I can still hear Chris complaining about how he'd just want to go up and down once.

Stuck out of Nagasaki with rain over head, I didn't find any form of shelter to house me for the night. Not even a wet park. I was beginning to think, as I continued to climb and descend dark slippery hills, that maybe turning to see Yoshi this way was a bad decision. I was soaked and getting cold. 

Eventually a covered bus stop came into view and I snag it, only to find that it's roof leaked a steady stream of water right into the middle of the ground. At this point, you want to tell in frustration. 

It took a lot to get back on that bike again and make my way down the coast line. The maps didn't hold anything promising for at least 20km and the time was rounding 10:00pm. But, on I went.

Twenty minutes later I was so happy to find this little area. A covered space just for me. Exactly what I needed. Though I was still very much on the main road and cars kept passing by even late into the night, I snuck in a few hours of soggy sleep.

Not a good day, certainly not great. I survived another night in the rain. Clearly, I'm going to have to get used to the rain being as far west My home in Tosa as I can be. I'm happy to the potential of sleeping indoors tomorrow with Yoshi's friend, I'll need it.

Love and goodnight,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment