Sunday, August 3, 2014

Japan - Kyushu Day 6, Rest, Rain, And Refining Friendships

Well, sort of rest.

When Yoshi messages me yesterday as I stood erect under a sliver of overhanging convinience store roof, avoiding the blanket of dark rain falling all around me, I was inspired to join him and meet one of his friends he met six years ago on his first hitch hiking trip through Kyushu. It all had the hint of good times to come.

So I cycled off from my wonderous bus stop shelter where I had spent the night knowing I'd only need a short bit of road to cover before arriving at the ferry port to make a quick jump into Amakusa where indoor comforts await. In retrospect, this was perfect. A perfect time to rest up and prepare for the turn around back home.

Yoshi and I had agreed to meet in this little village where his friend lived and although I was expected, I wasn't expecting Yoshi to relaxing on the edge of the cemented blockade overlooking the sea, waiting for this guy to show up in the misty rain. 

Shortly after arriving.

Well first things first! The day was actually cool and the clouds were taking a break from soaking is wondering travelers, so we found a corner store and supplemented out reunion with indulgences. 

A quick look around the park we say in and this giant statue made itself known. Something about a local fisherman legend, from what I could read. You can see the wooden plaques under that awning behind me. Those are scripted prayers left to be answered on day.

If you remember, Yoshi was going around Shikoku island not just for the sake of cycling through and across, he was completing the semi-obligatory Japanese pilgrimage of the 88 temples. Everyone must/ought to pray at these 88 temples once before they pass away. 

Here, is not one of them. Obviously, we are on Kyushu island, not Shikoku. However Yoshi is a spiritual dude, what can I say? 

After a initial greetings and a shower we sat around and got to know each other very well. Here we all are; Konosuke's mother, Yoshi, my bike and I. The family runs a electronic shop business here and in the main city selling air conditioning units, televisions, washer/driers and the like.

Of course the best part after the people has to be the home cooking! Famina, the mother, really cooked up an enexlected feast - home fried octopus tempura, vegetable tempura, katsuo, tofu, rice and curry, spinich, fish, garlic, and deep fried oysters. Yup! 

After the meal, we helped clean the table and dishes, as well as helping to finish all the last bits of food. I wanted to take a big nap but thought it might be rude. Yoshi, Famina, the grandmother and I all kept talking, explaining where we have been, what to expect, practicing each other's language. 

Something came out if the conversation of good fortune. As it turns out, Konosuke's mother will be dancing in a night parade, a celebration of the summer season. She showed off her kimono and was off to one last rehearsal. Yoshi and I were to wait at home for Konosuke (who I still haven't met yet to this point) to finish work before venturing off, by car, into the city for the celebrations. 

Konosuke's mother, Famina, waving in the parade. 

What you'd expect at a night parade: floats, dancing, drums, lots of people, street food, and children lighting off small fireworks, because, you know, it's Japan. 

Parade performers.

Ah, finally Konosuke finishes work and just in time. Also, don't get the wrong idea just because I'm holding a beer in all these photos. By the end of the night, I was clearly the most sober.

With the sparkling of the floats gone and the hypnotic demands of the giant taiko drums wearing off, there was only one thing left to do: eat horse.

Yes, eat horse. Why not? Not an American meat for sure, actually we export lots of horse meat each year. 

While the previous photo shows slightly cooked meat over an open flame, the real delicacy in town is ba shi mi. "Ba" being a substitute for uma or horse, and shi mi is the abbreviated form of sashimi, I knew what I was getting self into. Actually, I was somewhat expecting it. Kyushu is known for horse meat. And as I have already tried so many other "unusual" cuts of animal meat, I'm open to new references of tatse. 

All pretty happy at this point.

And so the night went. Konosuke's friends coming to our table, having a drink with the traveling cyclists (at this point I've stoped identifying myself as "America gaijin" [forigner] and replaced the market as jitensha gaijin, which, is more like saying I've come to cycle around for a bit), and soon being replaced with another wave of people at the bar. 

Beer glasses clanking like clockwork, the night passed away quickly and in the morning I was happy to wake up to the sound of rain outside, knowing I wouldn't have to pack a soggy tent. Still smiling, I rolled over and easily entered another course of content relaxation. 

Much love,
-A



No comments:

Post a Comment