Thursday, March 14, 2013

Indonesia, Java - An Astringent Awakening

You know that moment after being shocked awake by a dream? When your mind takes a moment to sort out its whereabouts and reason its presence. That dream was then, this moment is now.

Not always so easy. I had a sweet dream that I was rudely awoken from. And when I did, I found it difficult to recall what the hell happened - it felt so real yet incongruous to the day to day life style of traveling on the road with two other guy cyclists.

My dream was of a kind, inviting, hospitable family that took us in out of the night rain to rest our bones and dry our clothes. I dreamt of dinner outings over laughter and meaningful conversations, warm showers, Internet wifi at 5mb/s, and a big white dog that only wanted to catch his red frisbee and never let it go. We baked pizzas, beer chicken, and brownies at home after spending all day swimming in private beaches. It was all in my dream and I had no reason to pinch myself awake.

It was a few hours into the early morning after coming to, when my mind had enough time to orient my self with reality again, that I became suspicious. What were these pictures doing on my phone?

As I poured another cold handle of frigid water over my shoulder for my morning shower, I began to question what I actually could remember. It couldn't have been a dream.

Thea is the mother of the family; giving, loving, and hard working who never asks for a "thank you." Her husband Hangky, I remember, was always either making us laugh or laughing himself armed with a munition of personal stories. A charmer. They have two boys, Gregor and Gavin who do well in school judging by the accomplishments ornamenting the kitchen refrigerator. And there is no way that I was washing off the smell of their pup dog Temos. Real dog slobber can't be faked. You know that.

Were we really treated all so well by total strangers in a strange land? Believe it. I do.

Love,
-A

Ps. Thank you Thea and Hangky for their pure, unprejudiced hospitality to three smelly cycling dudes. And the world's best cream cheese brownies. Carry on.



























































































2 comments:

  1. Not a dream... Thanks for pushing me up to Batu with you guys, you have reawakened the cyclist hiding in me ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want whatever is in picture number one, I don't even know what it is!

    ReplyDelete