Sunday, March 31, 2013

Indonesia, Java - Yogyakarta Stole My Heart

Yogyakarta is the capital city of Central Java. Though the shops, eats, and amusements are not just for the out of state tourists; many locals from surrounding metro areas come to the great Yogya for holiday. The coming Easter weekend, for example.

I was here all of three days and could have easily spent more. This city compels me somehow. Chris prefers the mountaintops and long beaches to the urban chaos. I enjoy them all the same. Well, maybe I love the sprawl a little more. Yeah.

Yogya is the kind if place that runs and functions like a huge city without actually being constituted as one with all the urban mess. Concentrated, up to date, somewhat clean, prime street food, and much excitement stimulated by common popularity.

I can't help it really. Reminds me of home. So when a chance came up to spend an extra day here to take a Sunday morning ride up to Mirapi the active volcano, I jumped at it. This one erupted only two years ago, the damage is still being managed. You can see in the last three pictures that we literally trekked as far as the road would take us. (We went a little further).

-A





























































No comments:

Post a Comment