Monday, April 1, 2013

Indonesia, Java - The Botanical Gardens in Bogor

Well it took me all day riding alone in the rain up hill (Chris and Steve are still chasing rhinos) but I finally made it to Bogor, Jakarta's younger city sibling.

The locals call it the rainy city for good reason; it rains, and rains hard here. Day, night, afternoon, doesn't matter. Yet underneath it all Bogor is a great place to live when you manage to stay dry. It's main attraction is the Bogor palace located in the center of town, perfectly surrounded by large botanical garden.

Staying at home - which by the way is in thanks to my host Andry who welcomed me with open arms, a magnanimous man - I kept patient, looking up at the clouds, waiting for a break. When the rain stopped and the sun came out, we darted over to the gardens and took these pictures.

The trees and flowers and large vines dangling from the tops are all so impressive that they remind you how small you really are. In fact, some vines are so big and thick it looks like you could scale them all the way to the top, or mistake them for a giant snake at night as they rest coiled up on the ground. I loved my time here, walking through the paths of arranged nature. Again, my mother works as a horticulturalist so being here makes all of me feel calm and focused again unlike the busy streets that await me outside the palace walls.

Some parts look just like the conservatory of flowers in Golden Gate park. The pond inside is said to be very special - on certain times of the year you can find red and golden dragonflies...Unfortunately The palace is not open to the general public because its comparable to our White House. Susilo B. Yudhoyono, the President, lives there occasionally.

Here are the many pictures I took. And, I'll point out that I felt extra at home here because I found the Golden Gate!! Yes! Wow, what a treat, seriously put me back in the mood of things and lifted my spirits!

I'm off to Jakarta next with high hopes. Everyone, including lonely planet, says not to bike there or in the city. I have my doubts though. Or maybe I just like breaking perceptions.

Love,
-A

Ps. Thank you again Andry and girlfriend!! You were way to nice to me, I am in your debt.

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment