Saturday, March 22, 2014

Japan Day 3 - Making Adjustments

Third day into the trip and it's time to make adjustments.

I can't use the same clothes I use in Thailand, I can't even use the same clothes I would use in San Francisco! That is, I've never worn snow gloves while riding. Luckily my sister packed some away.

Bikes need adjusting too. Gabi's rear wheel was way out of alignment we noticed after a bridge climb. Luckily we caught that quickly before her wheel fell out of her frame. And, my old steel cheriot came down with a severe case of the "my bikes making a wierd 'clinking' sound and I don't know what it is" illness. Sibling mechanics agreed after a full inspection, ride it out and see what happens. It's since disappeared.

Riding styles must also change. Where as I was all about eating up highway as fast as I could (cycling with two other guys can bring out that edge in anyone) this trip is south more about the scenery and food. I know that's why me and my sister travel well together.

Speaking of food, eating habits have changed as well. Of course the food is going to be different. Rather, what I mean is that there much, much less street food vendors than I've accustomed my eating schedule to. Where in the South East I could pull over wherever I wanted for some chiken sate with peanut sauce, som tam, or roti bakar, here the case is much more.....table oriented. Only once have we eaten on the street so far. I'm hoping this will change once transcend the Osaka prefecture.

First bit of Japanese out-of-the-ordinaryness: a heated toilet seat! Yes, and a dual spray bidet.

My sister wanted a portrait on this wicked bridge we were on.

Take a closer look...that's why my sister rocks. Shaved and braided hair doo, rockin' the glasses and greasy fingers. I would call it Neo-hippiness, though I agree that to difine is to limit. 

Love the tile work that cuts the ground beneath my tires. It's like cycling through an Escher painting.

'Member those doughy balls? They're back! Here, you can see the octopus more clearly in this shot.

Until I eat the tasty treat.

We found this cool elevated bike path highway that circles around Kobe (yes, like the beef). Super sweet, super convinient. 

And found another tourer....sort of. Found his/her bike really. Looking back, we forgot to leave a note with our contact info.

Sister loves bubble tea. I believe this round was mango-apple.

Kobe is known for it's many curry restaurants, so dinner was predetermined. I've had many a bowls of curry n rice, never one served with a hamburger stuffed with cheese. Mmmm, I love my life.

Magnolias in the springtime.

After a good day of cycling, Gabs and I slowed down for some tea and a home made game of Penta. She beat me twice, but I'm still wining at cat bingo.

Oh, one more story before I go to bed. So, when you go out to eat at restaurants, as one inevitably does, notice a round half circle on your table. You'll see there is a button on top. Now, my sister being who she is, was catching up with long time friends over the Internet cafe we were at and started pressing the button on top. My mom enacts a similar behavior when she talks on the phone, she doodles on her notepad.

It wasn't until dinner that we put two and two together. Was wondering why our breakfast waitress had been so attentive, always asking if we wanted more water it coffee - Gabs had been hitting the call service button repeatedly.

Good night my friends. Tomorrow I expect us out of the city region and into more of a nature coastline. Time will tell.

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment