Friday, March 28, 2014

Japan Day 9 - Touristas

My sister and I faced an eminent desicion this morning when we awoke in Yo's home. It was to rain in the afternoon and all night. Yet at the same time, we wanted to take in some sights. (Himeji castle is literally under construction). Thought about it, and gambled against the rain. What's a few drops of water anyways?

So we bid our farewells to Yo, told him to come visit us in the States, and began peddling off.

Morning breakfast via vending machine order. We're getting used to this method, still amazed at how fast we are served in Japan. Made sense after I was explained that "time is money" to most Japanese people. This also explains why we get passed up by grandmothers on their "mamachuries," or supped up beach cruisers. 

Clouds telling me we still have a window of opportunity. Look closely to the top left and you can see the castle Gabi is cycling towards.

Big sis photo bombing my shot. I have a lot of castle pictures of the day, so i'll just lay them out for you. Here we go.

The walls here are massive!

Call Freud - why am I attracted to moss? Something compels me to its miniature, it's organization detail and intricate growth, it's ability to overtake.

Really love it.

The castle. Intimidating; like Bowser's last level.

Entrance gate.

Outpost.

We're starting to come around actual blossoms now, which is a delight. We get to actually experience the transformation, the change from hibernating Sakuras to pink snowstorms of falling leaves. 

Sis taking a panoramic. 


What's a castle without a river bank? We crossed this bridge after our fill of imaginary castle life.

Castle from across the river, where....

...where we came to see the palace gardens; one of three most beautiful gardens in Japan. Wish you where here mom.

Coy fish; wouldn't be Japan without 'em.







Ornamented moss.



Can't mistake these red crowned cranes for anything. Their red patch atop the head gives it away.

The storks are the only caged animals in the gardens. Coy fish swam free in the river, though the knew just where to hang about to get fed by happy go buyers. And so do the rock pidgins. 

Many people taking photos today. And many of them decked out in full Kimono attire, like the lady on the bridge here.

High atop the garden hill.


And wouldn't you know it, the cherry blossoms are starting to bloom. Another week, and you won't see anything else.



The castle and gardens came to a close, and we had to keep cycling if we were to keep ahead of the rain. So we did. Wasn't sure if we'd have to spend another night in a hotel room together or not. Turns out we didn't. 

More manhole covers.

A Christian penny-farthings bicycle co-op? Get real. Just an 
aesthetic coincidence. 

Veggie curry for a late lunch. The man who I ordered from saw me add a heap of Tabasco sauce and laughed. I said to him, "I know, I like it spicy." He replied (in gesture), "try this" and handed me a bottle from behind the counter. Well, I couldn't back down now. So I tossed in a bunch and smiled. 

We were saved not by a hotel tonight, but by a very generous man, Aki. A CouchSurfer professional, we were to meet him here, at Kurakishi station before dinner and a quick fall asleep.

Here we all are out for dinner. Hopefully Aki will visit my family in the Galapagos =)

So here we are agin out of the rain, phew. Taking time to see touristy seights is more exhausting than cycling all day! Hope you are well, stay dry my friends.

Best,
-A






No comments:

Post a Comment