Sunday, April 10, 2016

Japan Exodus - Day 14: Don't Stop Me Now


Through the night, my hunger subsided. My body knew that the a new day was starting by the rising sun, and that breakfast usually doesn't come. The feeling is the same if you've ever pulled an all nighter. Once you hit that tipping point, your body just seems to say, "ok, new day, let's go." And I couldn't argue against that, even if I wanted to.


Does anyone know who this is? I'm at a rest stop somewhere in Miyazaki prefecture. Seems like a local hero. He did his job, whoever he is, and kept the demons away during the night.



Now, there are very few places that open for breakfast in Japan. Most likely, if you want to eat, you're going to be looking at fast food. Which, in Japan, is not horrible. As you can see, lots of veggies and protein. I was just so hungry from the night before that I really didn't care what there was to order, I just needed good to keep my stomach from turning inside out with hunger.

So, the weather report states that tomorrow will rain all day. Not cool. Not as cool as this chocolate mint ice cream break.

The rain means I'll have to burn a day somewhere. It also means I'll have to rethink my route. I don't have a ticket for Okinawa yet and I'm really nervous that I'll miss out.

In Busan, South Korea, this is exactly what happened to me. I should up expecting to buy a ticket for the same day, ended up waiting two days with nothing to do until the next ship arrived. So to avoid all that possible despair, I want to cover as much ground as possible. This means less photos for the day, but it also means I ought to catch my ferry and spend four days on the beaches of Okinawa =)


What day am I on now, 14? Fourteen days and I still haven't left Takaoka. I'm joking. Takaoka is the neighborhood I lived in for two years in Kouchi, and to my amazement there is another small backwater town with not only the same name, the same Kanji!



And that's it for today! Short. But where I skipped on photos and stories, I made up for in km. Today was a good 142km of mountain cycling. I stopped for a quick meal, toilets, and an ice cream. Now I found a good place to cover me from the rain that should unfortunately start tonight and last, irritably, all through the day tomorrow. Looks like a rest day.

Much love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment