Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Japan Day 20 - Ill-legal

Everyone who completes or begins the Shimanami Kaidō, from the south, goes through Imabari. 

It's a well sized port city strangely devoid of all the cycling tourists we've grown accustomed to seeing and passing, or those who've passed us, along the route. Perhaps they all quickly make the trek and immediately head back to Onomichi before dark. Whatever the reason, the touring cyclists have been replaced by eastern mountains. The mountains themselves surrender their dark green and brown forest colors to the cold mist and semi transparent clouds that linger lovingly in the vicinity. In exchange, the great mountains are tinted every shade of blue, from light and bright to heavy and bold.

Next to an absence of tourers is, I am happy to report, a decrease in food prices. Not that I'm cheap. I'm hungry. Less expensive food means we can buy more of it. Just today sister and I put together our biggest Kaiten sushi order, weighing in at a decent 17 plates of sushi (that's 34 pieces at two pieces a plate), edamame, two bowls of miso, coffee, all the tea you can drink, and a flan - for less than $12 each. 

I am a little behind on my blog, so I am going to just photo dump on you today and write a little less.

Imabari castle was built by Takatora Todo, a military commander known as an expert castle-builder in the early seventeenth century. It is a remarkable castle in coastal land facing the Seto Island Sea. Despite the weak ground (sandy beach) the castle was built combining the best construction techniques of that time.

Where do they find huge beams of wood like this from?


Sister peering out from one of the turrets. She left her bow in Denver...

What we saw when we looked through the slit was unexpected.

A very white, and very large, swan.

More castle birds.





Imabari castle, one of three 'water castles' in Japan, features a vast water moat, a high stone wall and is a unique coastal castle on flat land that draws sea water in. The water of the moat changes with the tide, and salt water fish can be seen swimming there. 

Yeah, I know I'm in udon country. Soba needs love too

We are way, way too much.


Always room for a little ice cream! 


Today we cycled literally to the end of the road.

Streams like these are everywhere. Each is prety to look at and each ready for you to waste an afternoon enjoying.

We actually found a legitimate campsite! One in twenty days ain't bad I suppose.  



I turned out to be a little stomach sick from all the flan and ice cream of the day. Not bad when weighed against the creamy flavors, certainly worth the memory. Still, I can hear my mom telling me I shouldn't. Id like to think so too. On the other hand, why not go for that extra scoop of new flavored ice cream? Why not serve yourself some flan? In an radio interview Gabriel Iglecias (a well known foodie and "fluffy" sized stand up philosopher) was asked: "why do you drink diet cola?" His response, "so I can eat regular cake!" 

Buenas noches,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment