Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Japan Day 26 - Team Player

It's Tuesday. Not that the days have much significance to me anymore. They do to my sister however. I'll ask her what date to-day is and she'll reply Tuesday. Not what I was looking for, just the way we each think about time I figure. Anyways, it might be Tuesday or Thursday for all I know or care. 

What I do know, and care for, is that we will make the first boat ride off this island to keep our appointment in Kyoto. You see, we reserved us a room for four nights in Kyoto last night and would hate to waste even just one day now. 

Thing is, sisters knew has been acting up. I've been letting her sleep in my warmer sleeping bag to keep heat around it through the night, and given her a vat of tiger balm to aid the ache. Still, I'm sure it hurts her even when I ask her how her knee is doing and she says it's fine. Well, I trust her. If she can go on or the pain becomes too much, I trust she'll say something. It's all there is to be done on the road. 

That morning we hurriedly awoke from our under the bridge slumber to assure our plans that we would not miss the first ferry to Wakayama. So early that there were actually many people who slept on the voyage.

We were too excited to sleep. Though, we did enjoy the large lay down space provided. One mistake however; we left our things on out bike to grab a good piece of carpeted real estate - to later find out that we are not allowed to re-enter the cargo space. Do-uh! 

Working on my blogg in my Chocolate Spokes T, sipping coffee whe everyone else sleeps.

Getting sick of Japanese food yet?! Hecks no!!

We did long stretches of cycling today and consiquently did not stop for many pictures. I did stop for this one however. You can't really tell from the picture, but the larger carp kites are upwards of five meters! 

That night we caught the sunset on a strip of bridge crossing highway.

The moon was also out, in the opposite direction. This led to a magnificent....

Panorama! On the left, above the low hanging sign, you can see the moon. And on the right, the unmistakable sinking sun.

This night will be spent in Gojo, still about 90 km's away from Kyoto. Gabi's knee seems to be putting in work. I know it must hurt because of how she explains it to me, but there is no childlike complaining from her. She's sucking it up and working through it; a team player. Her eyes say she wants to cycle a little further but the sun has set. We should stop, say I. 

As she explored an empty path below a Shinto shrine, I chopped talked with another cyclist making his way to Wakayama. After we exchanged a fifteen minutes of talk, he asked where we would stay. I brought up my hands and flattened then before touching the tips of my fingers together in an triangular peak. "Camping," said I. He smiled as if he had been there before and explained that he is old now and is staying up the street in the town hotel. 

Feeling partly invited, sister and I check out the Hotel. The price just wasn't right. We weighed or chances were fine with camping on the side of the path sister had explored. And I'm glad we did. Out of all, this one spot claims a well earned spot among the top three all time Japan stealth camp sites.

After a restroom break at the Lawson's convieniance store where rice crackers and apple juice were purchased, we fell asleep listening to trashy sci-fi detective audio book recordings. We live, without the slightest snark remark of sarcasm, a great life.

Love and love,
-A


No comments:

Post a Comment