Saturday, May 4, 2013

Indonesia, Sumatra - Benkulu

I cycled into Benkulu eagerly. It's been two weeks, a quarter of an island, and many missed photo opportunities since I've charged my sweet multi purpose device with electrical power. Less proud to admit my relief than to announce my dependency.

Anyways, I am corralling pictures to fill in the gaps since my Sumatran arrival, I'll make retro posts shortly.

Here in Benkulu, the weather is harmoniously in sync with ideal coastal sentiments. Warm but not hot, cloudy but not overcast, BBQ, white sand, and cold beer brought over the boarder from Singapore.

We're staying with an excellent host, Evan, who has willingly opened his home to us for a reason, judging by my dirty smelly laundry, that I cannot imagine. The town is beautiful however, and the beach sublime. Certainly at dusk when the clouds reflect all those heavenly colors, and shine some others you've forgotten about. Hard to complain about anything in a home like this really, except about the day it comes leave. There's even an old fort where the first Indonesian president was sent to die. Yes, back then malaria was much more prevalent and life expectancies much less assured. Check out these photos as I comment on one last note for the day below.

Where are all the safety regulations I see back home so strictly held with importance? That is, construction and public trust operate differently over here. There are entire beach cliff buildings supported by PVC pipe in Uluwatu, in Yogya I was shocked twice by my room light switch, and here on the fort there is no need for guard rails. You can simply climb the structure, lay on the overtaking grass, put your feet up and enjoy that sunset.

No one is disrespectful and no one abuses the freedom - yes, freedom - placed before them in any way with malice. It seems to my memory that we cannot enjoy something so nice back home without a few punks wrecking such a nice place for all of us or without a mistrusting Department decorating the entire structure with barbed wire like a twisted holiday ornament. Rant over.

Well, the sunset is beautiful. I suppose there other more pressing concerns. But as I as I stare up at the open sky which for some reason looks back at me with more breadth than ever before, I can't think of any. And as I've said, the sky here is very much in sync with my sentiments: lovely though fading with heavenly beauty.

Love and miss you,
-A

























No comments:

Post a Comment