Monday, May 6, 2013

Indonesia, Sumatra - Travels On The Way To Padang

Hey! I haven't done the picture list thing in a while so here we go:



1. What I am calling honest noddles. See, when you order food here your cook is hard pressed to use anything else but the (what seems like the national food item) instant Indo-mie noodles. Not great. They do their best to flavor the dish in tasty verities. Anyways, these noodles are not instant and so instantly devoured.



2. A new munition for my breakfast ordering arsenal. Egg coffee. Figure it out but don't knock it till you try it.



3. No explanation here, just good old fashion carb loading.



4. A beach hangout where Steve and I took a load off and enjoyed some cold drinks and the view before moving on down along the road.



5. See - I'm still alive! And loving life. Here I am sporting a new jersey gifted to me by Novi, our lovely contact in Jakarta. Ouu, and it's team Garmin =)



6. The view from the hill where I changed out a flat tube.



7. Remember what I was saying about lack of safety measures in Indonesia, yet people don't abuse buildings or seem to get hurt? Here is the balcony from our second floor hotel room. Absolutely nothing preventing my position on the second floor from a position on the first; except common sense and caution.




8 and 9. Clouds. Something about Sumatra's weather...the clouds here are by far the best. Sumatran residences are blessed with superb cloud formations. So often do they look fake that I sometimes have to stare at them until I convince my skepticism that no one drew them.



10 and 11. Improvising dessert. We couldn't find any that we liked so we naturally made our own. Got. to. love. it.



12. What are the benefits of an absentee guard rail along our balcony fringe? Well this pic, for one. Looks to me like a battle between the forces of light on the left and fire on the right. What do you say?



13. A rare sunrise. We've been hitting the road early as of late, trying to reach our destination by midday so that we can take in the town. We consequently witness gorgeous sunrises too; this one is special enough to warrant the time it took to stop, dig out my camera, shoot, and catch up with my cycling brethren.



14. Ever meet an elder and say to yourself, "When I get old, I want to be just like him"? No? I do it all the time. And here again too. Old chap invites Chris and I inside his fruit stand to share a most delicious watermelon. That it was free, made it all the much sweeter.



15. The climate hasn't provided rain in days now. Today it poured for about an hour for the first time in a long time. I have the suspicion that this hour is an omen of things to come. That we plan to cycle up into the mountains tomorrow, don't bet against me.



16. Egg coffee. Go out and make yourself a cup.





17 - 19. Check it out - another cyclist! Too bad Regis is traveling South as we move North. Well we exchanged numbers and now I have a place to stay in southern France; I am apparently obligated to cycle through Europe now. Stay tuned.


20. The view from atop the mountain pass we climbed today.



21. How the weather changes, the same location as pic 20 but with an encroaching fog. And rain; told ya.



22. Dinner in the night market. Now markets do tend to be open during the day here. Finding a night dinner market hence necessitated a visit and a meal.


23. The meal.


24. Local Sumatran bird. There are, surprisingly, a lot of birders here. That is, people who travel here specifically to hunt birds and shoot them with their expensive Cannon lenses.

Well that's all the non-sequitur nonsense for now. I am staying in Kersic Tuo tonight. Not much of a town, save for the fact that its situated cozily at the bottom of Mt. Kerinci. Hint.

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment