Monday, July 28, 2014

Japan - Kyushu Day 1, I Forgot How Much I Hate Mosquitos

My father always said you can love people, not things. I understood what he meant, and I beleive the opposite holds conversely true. I don't hate my bike when it's unresponsive. Yet I wonder, animals are not people, and I would hesitate to call them "things" too. Well, whatever the case, I'm telling you now that I really, really hate mosquitos. The two months spent living indoors on the third floor has made me forget this, and now, right now, they hum annoyingly around me while I type. It's the sound of an iminant insect attack if not for the thin layer of mesh fabric that is my tent.  

But, let's start on a more positive note.

The day started early with a final look over my things, rolling my panniers closed and hauling them downstairs to be fastened on my bike. It's been really hot as of late, like 35-39° so I'm rolling the dice and forgoing the sleeping bag this time; let's hope that one doesn't come back to bite me.

August is summer break in Japan, and this teacher ain't staying at home. The island of Kyushu is calling my name; it is the next island south west of Shikoku. What's the plan? Just go and see what we see. Today was 123km exactly, which is a clean way to start the trip =)

Plenty of mountains to climb on day one, you just can't escape them on Shikoku. And hopefully on Kyushu either.

What a good omen, ran into a fellow cyclist on Day 1! Although we are traveling in the same direction, we are going to different end points. Akira is heading further south before cycling back up the east side of Shikoku, and I'm cutting west and island hopping. Still we knocked out a few km before splitting ways. He's hitting all the big and small points. As it happens, I'm catching him at the end of his solo trip, he should be home for the first time in two years after another week of traveling. He seemed really happy about it.

Coast rider.

Yes, you can't see all to well but I assure you - this is tide pool heaven. No access point however, what's up with that Japan? 

The sun sets behind the port I will ferry out from tomorrow morning. 

At least the flying encephalitis daemons are only active at dusk and dawn, the humming of mosquito wings has now faded. As is my energy. I'm excited as hell to be back on the road, it's adventurous, serene, and challenging. More challenging without a goodnight a rest, buenas noches. 

Much Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment