Saturday, July 5, 2014

Japan - New Friends

So I'm typing up things for my Kyushu blog and I would hate to even begin that journey without mentioning some of the cycling highlights which have occurred over the last two months. Here we go.

You remember Go, we cycled Mt. Fuji together! He must have caught the bug for high inclinations because he's entered his name to compete in a scored uphill race! Way to go, Go!

Ahh Yoshi. He's been traveling clockwise across Shikoku, completing the 88 temple pilgrimage. A few weeks back he made his way to temples 34, 35, and 36 in my town of Tosa. He, of course, stayed a few nights so we could properly celebrate the reunion =)

At every temple you can collect these individual signatures from the monks who live there. Moreover, it ensures a steady flow of cash into the temples. It's a feat to write Japanese calligraphy and very interesting to watch.

Just so happens that Yoshi was around for one of my school's end of term parties - so I invited him and we declared him the guest of honor.

The self proclaimed 2am convince store bought beer after party. 

Of course Yoshi's visit was not all drinking and reminiscing, I accompanied him to the temples - which were my first time too.

Temple gardens. Very well done. Can you spot the moat?

After which we took to the beach because one doesn't live by the water and miss the sand and sun

Another few days and Yosh is off again. He's still got about twenty temples to go to. Maybe, just maybe we'll catch each other on Kyushu.

Next up is Akkun. He's my local post office clerk turned cycling pall. Literally, he noticed my glove tan and ask, "you ride?" I said I do and we started planning a trip. Little did I know I had just made friends with the sprinter on the Kochi city cycling team! 

Our trip ended up being a really nice long cycle through some nature paths. We ended up here, at an overlooked cave that carried fresh drinking water.

Wouldn't be a ride if we didn't go out of out way to climb this one hill before heading home. Phew! 

A few days later Akkun invited some friends because they heard how much I love takoyaki, and we had a small party.

Moritz and Rina are two Swizz cycling Japan for as long as they can. They send me a request via warm showers and I had to accept - my first guests! As you can see, they're packing light! Three (big) bags between them!

What to do but to sucker them into following me up the steepest street in town. 

Good job - they earned that sweat! 

Thanks to all the cool people I've met, there will be more to come! If you're currious or want to see more pics, check out their blogs at:

Yoshi:
http://www.peace-journey.jp/wordpress/

Moritz and Rina:

Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment