Thursday, July 31, 2014

Japan - Kyushu Day 4, Unusualness

What was that sound just outside my tent? It was something crawling, something small. It sounded as if whatever it was, that it wanted to nibble on the side of my tent for breakfast. Can you blame him? Still unsure, I started my day.

Although I still not sure what munching sound had brought me consciousness that morning, there were plenty of ear-worm type bugs in the morning grass. Many birds savoring them as I unzipped the front flap of my polymer mansion.

Supper jealous of a friend's blueberry banana milkshake back in the States, I ate this mild substitute for breakfast. Not the same as a protein shake but pretty good! Anything with bananas for breakfast is a win =)

I had passed out last night just beyond the city streets of Kitakyushu, planing to cycle more country today than yesterday. Instead, I was aimed straight towards Fukaoka, Japan's sixth largest city. 

Well, since I'm here. First things first, I hit up the tourist information booth at the mail railway station to make the giggling girls uncomfortable wearing my cycling short cut spandex among plenty of professionally dressed business people. Not really. But I did want a large map of Kyushu and I got it. 

After some beer and a sandwich lunch, I left. The city has lots of charm but I was eager to get back on the road. Some people have trouble eating out alone. I don't. Some people feel uncomfortable going out to the movies alone. I don't. Some people would prefer explore a city and it's museums with a friend, I know I do.

So, I was off again, this time South.


I made my way here to Dazaifu. This Tenmangu Temple is among Kyotos most famous because it stands in honor of Michizane, an outstanding scholar turned politician, turned outcast.

Michizane was a noticed post by the age of eleven, and showed remarkae talents in academia in years before. None the less to say Michizane was fast tracked into power. Unfortunately, jealousy and rivalries within the imperial courts resulted in his exile from Kyoto to here in Dazaifu. Soon after his banishment, Kyoto suffered a whirl of natural disasters in the following years. Many blamed his enemies.

Now the shrine, built on his tomb, is a pilgramage sight for many people, especially students praying to pass their entrance exams.

This statue, is assured to guarantee your test success should you rub the bulls horns and nose.

Still averaging 35° durring the day, it was time for some cool-me-downs. Next to the rare chocolate walnut candy apple I enjoy down by Fisherman's Warf, and those apricot fruit snaks rolled in coconut on 24th and Valencia, snow cones are my go to sweet tooth snak. 

So AndrĂ©s, you visited a temple, saw some cool city, rode 121 km, and are a snow cone - what's so unusual about that? Why the title? 


First, I came across these overly happy, excuisitly pink bunny rabits all lines up in the foreground of a nasty, dark, dank, and rusted metal works shop. Their errie faces and military like formation against such a dark shed made me think they were up to no good...

Almost immediately after the bunnies I found this gem. What to make of it? He's obviously punching himself, in the lower half, smiling, thinking blank thought bubbles while a rainbow emerges to his right. If you had to guess, what is this albino gorilla thinking? 

This one takes the cake. No words, just look at it and wonder....

Ok! I'm off again! Tomorrow looks like a short ride from Saga to Nagasaki but also light rain - hopefully the weather will be cool!

Much Love,
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment