Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Japan Exodus - Day 45: Birthday

They tell me today is my 30th birthday.


Funny to me, it’s one of those things in life in where you simply must take third person’s account of. For example, let’s say whether or not 16th US President Lincoln was a real person. Did you see him, shake his hand? In a Cartesian sense, you can’t prove he existed. Yet, History and most people agree with the fact. What do you say? Today, they say I’ve not died for ten-thousand nine hundred and fifty days, or so, and I am very grateful to be here with you.   


Thirty years later and this date is burned into my awareness. A spotlight highlights the date in little corners of coffee shops, it is on the back wall of restaurants on red paper calendars hung next to half stem-incense sticks and prayer tokens, and dotted in digital neon signs along train railway stations.

In 1986 May the 11th was a Mother’s Day. What a present to my lovely mother. In 2016 in Japan, I find today to be a random rainy day in the middle of a town between the grander cities of Kyoto and Toukyo.

Ay, rain. At least I have a decent reason to afford a hotel room and take in the comfort of disposable amenities - as opposed to carrying them around with me on either side of my green bike.


Actually, very happy to be inside today. From behind a pane glass window, the storm howls away the weak leafs from trees and the weak trees from their potted roots, it kicks up water from collecting flood puddles, and throws any passerby’s umbrella completely inside out, rendering their poly-synthetic protection more hassle than asset.

Two years ago, Older sister and I spend her 30th birthday on Noashima Island. Now that was a celebration. Beautiful weather, museums, art, and a ferry ride back to the main island. We rented a hotel room that night, and then again tonight I get a clean shower and some Internet access to distract me for enough time.


But all this rain is a little depressing, no? I wonder what I would do if the rain had been delayed only a day or two. What would I have done? Not in any desire to be living a life of regret, I decide not to think about what I could be doing and instead focus on how else I will celebrate when the appropriate time comes. The calls from my family, messages and emails from friends all makes the decision an easy one. Today might be my lonely 30th birthday - but I am not alone. I’ll be thirty all year =)

I never spend more time in my tent than for however long I happen to fall asleep for. Hotel rooms are certainly a luxury but they can get a little stir crazy even when the storm outside doesn’t provide any better option. Still, I needed a change of scene. I took a walk in the rain to go eat some local ramen, meat and eggs over rice, and some fried chicken. Hey, if I am not going to be cooking tonight means I don’t have to do dishes either. So, order up I say! And the food really was delicious.

The walk home, not so satisfying. If the storm was lifting up umbrella bottoms when I left, it was pushing me over by the time I walked home.

Complimentary breakfast in the morning. That is one of the reasons I stay with this hotel brand. All you can eat in the morning time is not really my style, not at all. But when the freshly prepared food is right there in front of you, waking up from a good honest night’s rest of indulgencies, well, stuffing your face with delectable veggies, natto, rice, toast, mashed potatoes, coffee, and whatever else hardly seems out of place.

And that is how I spend my 30th. Single, but not alone. Reminds me much of my 27th in Padang, Indonesia. Chris and I had parted cycling paths for a few days as he ventured off to unsuccessfully surf the Mentawai islands. Steve was off on a quick return trip home. I was left to my own devices.

That 27th year celebration was strangely similar yet one of the best on the account of contemporaneous food and beer filled smiles with strangers and friends over the course of the next couple weeks. Well, let’s be honest. The celebrations lasted longer than that. Until either I see you again, or until we have my 31st birthday, there are plenty of reasons to celebrate when I see you again - cheers!

10,951 reasons for Love

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment