Thursday, June 2, 2016

Japan Exodus - Day 48: Tokyo Shoe Bomb Museums


Another most beautiful day along mid Honshu range on the way to Toukyo. Sure, the sidewalks are crowded, the cars pack the streets, the route is not always clear or direct, and the air doesn’t small as fresh - but, its Toukyo! Now, today, will all be new bike territory for me. I have never cycled more North than Fuji-san, and I am so excited to start making my way that I actually woke up early this morning and got a good head start on the day. Because, why wait? Come on! 

Way in the back there you can see the snow top covered Fuji with a little cloud cover as a hat. Between there and the top of this bridge where I took this photo, is that mountain disallowed access to cyclists. What frustrates me more? That cars which have the capacity and the speed to take the long way around, don’t. Or, that the city planners would make such a convenient tunnel passage and not include at least a single walkway for people without cars through? I am young, have the means, and the stamina to make my way around and over a mountain, but not everyone is or can. 

I am calling this post part “shoe bomb” because I picked up some new gas canisters for my stove, name brand: iBombe. I laugh at the cautious misstep implication of Apple corporation actually making a bomb, though I might not actually be that far off the mark with that remark. I stuffed the compressed gas canisters into my shoes, a perfect fit and real space saver. Just, please don’t let me forget to take them out before I board the plane. No amount of charm or bribery could get me out of that situation.

Argh, more stairs. I fear this will be a repeated theme in the following days through the city streets. At least before I had a slide to push my bike up and down. These three flights of stairs are positively the worst.

“Where are all the people in your photos?” someone once asked me. Well, for one, I wait until they are out of frame if I can. Nothing ruins a good chance at an amazing photo than an awkwardly positioned civilian, staring back at you. Your eye’s attention naturally drifts to that one oddity and focuses on it rather than the whole picture. So, I wait.

Besides the normal crowds, this is a typical shot of the Toukyo streets. A confluence of concrete and floral jungle, immaculately clean and trimmed, with a hint of something big and amazing waiting for you just around the corner, if you have the curiosity to go explore. 

I used to think when I played video games as a child that the digital utopian constructions of cities within the games were solely the artist’s rendering of what a futuristic/science fiction city would look as if devoid of crime, litter, and pollution. When I came to Japan over two years ago, this lifelong assumption crumbled within the first couple hours. The video game artists were not drawing on imagination, they drew from their immediate reality. 
  
- Back to the Toukyo story in a moment. First, I have the pleasure and opportunity to tell my story many times over in my travels, to be amazed by its expansion with each day added to adventure. One of the largest turning points in the first era of telling this story came in the form of my decision to quit the life of a banker at 22. A strong reason in that decision was to go and experience university life as a student. It sounded all so much fun. And, was =) A stark turnaround from the 18 year old who once failed at three separate high schools.

At the time of a university student, I had very little access to pecuniary revenues. As did my friends. I literally used to shop for groceries at the 99 cent store two blocks north of my apartment in Berkeley across San Pablo Ave. There, you could find almost anything. Three pack of underwear? Check. Multicolored variety garden gnomes? Yes. And in the corner you also find every college kid’s go to meal for a fast and very inexpensive food adaptation. The infamous coup of noodles soup.

Now, back to Toukyo. It’s one of those ridiculous sightseeing stops that you don’t want to miss, but that you are just a little too embarrassed to buy tickets for because it is such an obvious tourist trap. Like, going to Graceland or the Statue of Liberty.


I am a moderate coup of noodles fan, people would say. That there is a museum solely dedicated to just a simply concept of dried out ramen noodles is an experience just a little more ridiculous than one might come to expect. Japan, if you did not already know, is full of ridiculousness. And dammit if it doesn’t also make me a little more curious. Also, there are rumors that if you go, you can make your own dried noodles cup, topped with whatever and how many ingredients you can shake a stick at. Think of when you order frozen yogurt toppings, but with dried ramen happenings. Ready? Let’s go!

Entrance to the first exhibition of the museum. A very square entrance for a company product famous for being served in round bowls.

Along the walls of the room you find the entire visual history, artistic packaging, and flavor evolution of the simple yet intricate cup of noodles idea. Here are the kinds of instant ramen you could buy just thirty years ago.

Here are the variety and types of instant noodles you can buy today. Not just ramen, but instant noodles of almost any kind, and in more flavors that you can count, with some so unusual you wonder how they made it past an actual decision making committee. Milk and seafood flavored instant ramen soup, anyone?

Is it strange that we find Momofuku Ando, the inventor of the Cup Noodle podiumed alongside Albert Einstein and Hellen Keller? Let’s see, who else is here? From the left its Marie Curie, Konosuke Matsushita (fourth grade education youngster sold light bulb sockets, ended up founding the company you know as Panasonic), Wilbur and Orville Wright, Soichiro Honda (last name sound familiar? Quote “99% of my efforts ended in continuous failure. I am here today because of the 1% that bore fruit.”), Helen Keller, Hideki Yukawa (first Japanese Nobel laureate; physics), Babe Ruth, Albert Einstein, Christopher Columbus, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Charles Chaplin, Galileo Galilei, Ludwig Beethoven, Henri Fabre, Alfred Nobel, Hideyo Noguchi (internationally known physician), and Marie Curie.


The museum exhibit is meant to remind us that Mr. Ando came up with the idea at age 61 with many failed ideas behind him. Now, you eat the same half-dollar cup of ramen noodles in the Styrofoam cup case as the astronauts eat after long work hours in space. Never give up!

Oh what would a museum be without an all-white ceramic center piece?

This part of the exhibition I enjoyed quite much. There were about ten panels all like this one in a row against a bare wall. Naturally, the one I enjoyed the most drew the least attention from the crowds more interested in taking a photo with the company mascot.

Even if you can’t read the Japanese (I couldn’t) the message comes across, doesn’t it? For all the accomplishments that Humans succeeded across history, the greatest ones borrow from the simplest ideas that Nature has cared for since the beginning.

Alas, cannot escape the crowds in this area. Welcome to the Willy Wonka type play room of creating your own instant ramen cup of noodles soup. Color markers, upbeat music and all the time you need to create your own masterpiece are had here with the delightful laughter of creation and chatter constant.

Boom! A little art and coloring on the front, a super-secret message on the back, and the date. All done. Except, my cup is just a cup at the moment. Step one, the artwork is finished. Which brings us right along to step 2, fillings.

Dried ramen is mechanically inserted to my cup via a crank I pull and rotate, like a pressed penny souvenir machine down at the wharf. They leave you plenty of room in the cup to add all the ingredients you would ever care to enjoy. Be warned though, as with mixing paint, swirl too many colors together and all you get is grey.


After making my way into the heart of Japan’s capital by bike, and taking in the tour of the ramen museum, the day was already setting up for its afternoon. Now, camping will take some careful finessing. I found an actual campsite on a map, which, I must say, came with a shock. Camping in Toukyo, OK. I’ll try anything four times. 

Turns out, this is what “camping” looks like in Toukyo…

Kidding, of course. This is where I pitched my tent. Not too bad, huh? Yeah, that is what I thought too. Could even make the top 20 camping sites with the bay side view and all. Then, I heard it. Big, loud, windy, and unavoidable. I checked my iphone map instantly for my location and…

Yup. I had. Somehow, I had completely missed the fact that this campsite resided immediately adjacent to a military airport strip. “Nature”, in the city. Ha. I am reminded of a brief dialogue from the Blues Brothers film when the brothers first come home to Elwood’s cramped city apartment, window positioned right outside a busy train station.

Jake: “How often does the train come around?”
Elwood: “So often, you won’t even notice.”


True, after a while, I didn’t even notice the flights coming in. That first hour and half was rough though, trying to get to sleep. I think the planes stopped coming after 10pm, but I can’t be sure. Other thoughts preoccupied my attention, such as, I had cycled all the way to Toukyo! After tonight comes time to kick down my imaginary kick stand (I don’t have a kick stand, just lean my bike up against a wall), and live out my personalized tourist wants of sights, sounds, and eats.


Out of towner Love,

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment