Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Japan Exodus - Day 46: One Month In, Hello Fuji-San!!

That yesterday was the 11th of May consequently makes today the 12th, and exactly marks one month of completed cycling from the southern tip of Okinawa! Taking the long way around, seeing the sights, stopping for beer with friends, waiting out the rain, it all can be done from Okinawa to just shy of Toukyo. A very special stop before I hit Japan’s center city. A collectively revered and very special landmark is where you will find me, just next to one of Japan’s many United Nation’s Education, Science, and Culture Organization (UNESCO) world heritage sights. 

That’s right! Got a month to spare? Why not take a trip around Japan and find your way to Mt. Fuji?

Both times now that I have passed through this region the heavens prepared the weather for my visit. Two years ago when circumstances brought Go and I on a duel journey to, and up, Mt. Fuji (read it here), the day was as clear and sun warm, with just as much snow found on the tip top of the grand mountain. Don’t let that “little” patch of snow fool you however. At the peak the weather is freezing. Just looking at that reminds me of the pain in my fingers and nose from cycling back down against the cold wind. Small prickles of hot needles poking the nerves of either. It’s a unique feeling actually, between the numbness growing around your extremities from the outside, and a tingling pain from within. Torture. The wind that hits you in the face down makes for small tears at the sides of your eyes. Which, in turn, the cold Fuji conditions turns instantly into icicles, bringing the pain of dry broken skin if ever you should blink.


Perhaps that is why the old proverb goes, “If you climb the mountain once, you are wise. If you climb the mountain twice, you are a fool.”

Let’s rewind the day a bit. I woke up in a park today, not in a rest stop. That is your first telling sign that the city approaches. Rest stops were designed for people driving cross country, away from cities and into small, less known towns or remote areas in valleys or along scenic routes (I suppose my former town of Tosa was a little too remote as we had no such station). Point is, there is a correlative ratio of Japanese country side to availability of rest stations. Toukyo may have many things that simply can’t be had anywhere else in the world, but nature is not one of them. Accordingly, my camping procedures must adjust.

Still, not so bad, heh? At one point in the middle of every night, everything is an opaque shade of grey and black. Then, slowly, like the opening overtones of a grand symphony, the small insects and bids call out, the grass, dew, mountains, and sky come into focus. The morning sun. Early rays will highlight everything in slow colorful resolution.


As the days pass, I wake up earlier and early with those sights and sounds as my alarm.

Aha! This might even be the exact same road Go and I cycled on two years ago. I notice the perfect alignment of road facing the base of Mt. Fuji straight ahead. It is a view one hardly forgets because the road almost teases you, taunting your view with the end of the rainbow.

What an amazingly clear day. A few clouds lingering around the top, necessary for just the right amount of ambiance. Can you imagine what it might me like to live in this house, to have this as your view every day? I want to think that I would never cease to be amazed by the scene, and hold BBQ’s every single chance that came my way for the most smallest of reasons. 

To reach Fuji-san twice in my life is a celebration worth splurging on breakfast for.

Besides, I was super h-u-n-g-r-y! Let’s see…eggs for omelets, some meat to fry up and grease the pan, veggies because you have to, cheese for the omelets, avocado because everything tastes better with avocadoes, and whole pineapple because it is my favorite fruit of all time and is all cut up and prepared to eat for pre/during/and post meal dessert.
My eyes, and camera lens, could not choose what to focus on more, the breakfast I covered in spoon full after spoon full of avocado, or the marvelous image of Fuji as a backdrop to the beginning of this most excellent day. Can you see it? 

One more shot of this spectacular mountain before I say my goodbyes. Or perhaps, just see you laters.


Days are getting hot now, on the verge of becoming too hot to cycle in during the mid-section of the day from 11am until 2pm. Today reached 27 degrees Celsius at its peak. Spring has sprung, and summer brings the Sun. If things continue this way, and there would no indication why they would not, I will have to make adjustments to my cycling routine. Devote mornings to cycling as much as I can, then rest for three hours mid-day under shade with food, and finish off the last part of the day with an easy ride into some place I know I can relax and keep a smile.

Today, the first day of my 30th year on this Earth, smiles were had all around.

Much Love,

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment